Visual Communication of Science Workshops for Researchers
and Effectively Deliver Your Message
Proven & Globally Trusted
Most loved training at many of 130+ excellent research institutions.
Already in 22 countries since 2013.
Work on Your Materials
Participants send their publications in advance. They get feedback and visualize their own research messages.
The skills are transferrable and work for all types of science presentation and for communicating with diverse audiences.
96% 5-star reviews by participants on Trustpilot
Lessons, examples & redesigns, drawing exercise,personalized feedback, group work, discussions
Hands-on and interactive
Unique learning experience
We discuss the principles underlying every kind of visual communication and then apply them to scientific papers, slides, and posters. This gives the participants the fundamentals which work in diverse science communication situations.
Workshop includes a graphical abstract drawing exercise where everyone sketches their research and gets feedback from other participants on what is or isn’t easy to understand and how to improve.
Ahead of the workshop, participants send their visual materials/presentations and I prepare a selection with personalized feedback and we try to improve them during the workshop.
- Transferable skills
Besides the new knowledge being extremely useful for presenting ideas in scientific settings, it is equally valuable for transferring your messages in government and industry as we also discuss communicating with non scientists. Truly transferable know-how you can apply as long as you’re communicating with humans 🙂
Trusted by researchers at renowned institutions
Workshop Formats & Approach
- Benefits for researchers: My goal is to help you become a more effective communicator. You will learn to visually communicate your complex research ideas and results so your messages are effortlessly understood by any specific audience (scientists or non-scientists). We will not focus on aesthetics but on how knowledge on human visual perception can help you create effective scientific communication with a strategic approach in the shortest time. It is an immersive workshop, comprehensive, structured, memorable, easy to follow, useful and fun. It is a training that fundamentally changes how participants think about communication, not only in science, but also in life.
- Personalized feedback & interactivity: Your workshop will be adapted to your research topics. You will be able to submit your materials before the event. I will make a selection and give you personalized feedback. You will also discuss your materials with other participants and learn to receive and give informed and constructive feedback. We will apply the principles in an exercise where you will draw a graphical abstract of your research and get feedback from peer researchers.
- Online vs Onsite: Both formats cover all topics and are enjoyable immersive experiences. The onsite workshop is my flagship. It allows quick interactions, fluent debates, and merges fun, learning, and networking. Online is just as engaging, and Zoom offers many tools that are especially great for learning about visual communication. The online also allows students to learn while interacting with fellow scientists from the comfort and safety of their home or office. All-in-all, participants find both formats equally valuable.
- Blended learning: The training combines a self-study module, homework, and a live workshop (either half-day or 1-day). The self-study module has been crafted to be precise and succinct. No-nonsense. It is accessible to all participants for 12 months so they can replay any part when they need it afterwards. For details, request a PDF offer below.
- Experience for organizers: Organizing an event is simple as besides promotion, registration, and venue arrangements, I take care for all communication with the participants. Since the pandemic situation is still volatile, you will be happy to know, that we can switch to online almost last minute.
- Plenary talks and webinars: Sometimes I will say yes to a shorter event or create a customized experience. Feel free to send a request.
Fundamental Visual Communication
|🎤||How to effectively communicate with scientific and non-scientific audiences|
|🎤||Visual perception and what humans find intuitive|
|🎤||Layout: a global structure that communicates the gist|
|🎤||Eye-flow: effortlessly guide the audience through the design|
|🎤||Colors: how to amplify, not ‘fancify’|
|🎤||Typography: how to choose and combine fonts for legibility, structure, and aesthetics|
|🎤||Visual consistency: how to make consistent style for multiple figures|
|🎤||General design advice: approaches used by professional science illustrators|
Applied Visual Communication
|🎤||Slides that don’t distract and amplify your messages when presenting|
|🎤||Conference posters: purpose, strategy and process for creating posters that attract and explain|
|🎤||Digital image file-types: compression, resolution and the best use of vector and raster images|
|🎤||Grants/project proposals: how to structure and visually enhance a document to help the evaluator|
Exercises & Group work
|🗨||Discussion on pre-submitted figures: personalized feedback on a selection of figures from participants and discussion.|
|🗨||Feedback on slides: personalized feedback on a selection of figures from participants and discussion.|
|✍||Graphical abstract drawing exercise: draw a sketch of your own research.|
|🤝||Graphical abstract group work: learn to give and receive actionable and informed feedback|
Onsite Workshop Experience
Facilitated by a scientist, photographer, and Fulbright Scholar
Dr. Jernej Zupanc
My goal is to help scientists effectively communicate your ideas and findings and make an impact with your research.
I read and study eclectically and am always looking for approaches from different ﬁelds that can be easily applied by scientists. I distill the principles and practices into easy to understand and fun learning experiences. Time is our most valuable resource and I want the time spent in my training to be the best long-term investment a scientist can make. Teaching and communication are my professional passions and I find it a privilege that over 5000 scientists have attended my training since 2013.
I hold a PhD in computer science at University of Ljubljana and was a Fulbright Scholar at Northeastern University.
Request an offer
I usually respond with a detailed non-binding offer within 48 hours and we can schedule a call to discuss the details.